Don't forget to click on the picture to enlarge it!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

75 in 75 day 26

The re-inactors at the Kearney pow wow had their guns set up in a tripod so I had to take one of this .  Inscribed on the gun it says 1853 Enfiled. A little Wiki info. about these guns. The term “Rifle-Musket” meant that the rifle was the same length as the musket it replaced, as a long rifle was thought necessary so that the muzzles of the second rank of soldiers would project beyond the faces of the men in front, ensuring that the weapon would be sufficiently long enough for a bayonet fight, should such an eventuality arise.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I teach art through many venues. Currently I teach with Metro Community College Continuing Education. Also I belong to the art galleries Eppley Gallery at the Eppley Airport in Omaha Nebraska and "Fine Arts on Fifth" in Malvern IA